Saturday 21 September 2019

Why life should be more like parkrun

I've noticed something recently about how my  mind works. Doing something physical provides mental space. Whether cycling long distances or jogging around the block, once the activity is underway, auto-pilot seems to take over.

Excellent, says my brain, I'll fill up that space with something useful like . . . oh maybe constructing a shopping list for the next time I see a supermarket. Or how about trying to recite the NATO phonetic alphabet? (You know - Alpha, Bravo, Charlie. Delta, Echo . . . I can never remember O, P or V.)  Seriously annoying. I wish it wouldn't.

In case you were
wondering

Sometimes, though, my organising brain goes off to have a lie down which allows random ideas to percolate, rearrange themselves and grow into coherent thoughts. Today was one of those days.

Along with 350 or so others, I was jogging around a 5km course on the island of Jersey. It's Saturday, even if on the other side of the world, so yes, it was a parkrun event.
After parkrun this morning, we enjoyed a stroll
around Jersey's lavender farm 

I'm a huge parkrun fan and have written about it before.  Today though I realised why. Put simply, parkrun is a blueprint for life as it should be lived.

Let me share this with you.

First, be supportive. Be kind. Be inclusive. Parkrunners make a point of cheering each other on. At the start line, elite athletes mingle with the rest of us, who tend to come in a variety of larger shapes and sizes. Volunteer marshals encourage us as we pass them by. Finishers are applauded whether they've raced through in 18 minutes or walked with the baby in a pushchair for an hour.

Enthusiastic volunteers
at Jersey parkrun
We all have our own personal goals, because that's what motivates us, but we love to recognise the achievements of our fellow parkrunners.

Next, be organised and be on time. It takes some effort to reach the start line by 8am on a dark winter's morning. (Or 9am on this side of the world). But the event director won't wait for stragglers. Nor should life.

Sharing your world with animals can be so rewarding. Many lucky dogs get to do parkrun with their humans - and they just LOVE it. Parkrunning dogs are welcomed, so long as they're under control. They even have their own feature - Parkdog of the Week -  in the newsletter emailed regularly to their humans. And their enthusiasm is infectious.
Meet Ollie, my grand-furkid,
doing his first parkrun.

Keep scanning the horizon. Understanding how others live their lives leads to acceptance of differences.

Overseas travel isn't for everyone but parkrun provides the perfect opportunity to explore the world. Visitors are always made welcome at parkrun events. And, no matter where in the world, parkrunners are encouraged to meet up and chat at a cafe afterwards. It's a rule, and a good one.

Finally, parkrun has pushed me to do more than I thought I could. So far, I've run a cumulative 500 kilometres, one Saturday morning at a time. And I've been welcomed into a community of people who look out for each other.

Come join us.



1 comment:

  1. Awesome Robyn. So true! Great analogy on life. I wondered whether you would be running today - somewhere fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Challenging ourselves in China

I'm home, finally. And, I have to admit, a little reluctantly. Tour Leader has been back in his happy place for the past fortnight, plan...